Reported speech is when
you tell somebody else what you or a person said before.
Distinction must be made
between direct speech and reported speech.
Direct speech vs Reported
speech:
|
Direct speech
|
Reported speech
|
|
She says: "I like
tuna fish."
|
She says that she likes
tuna fish.
|
|
She said: "I'm
visiting Paris next weekend"
|
She said that she was
visiting Paris the following weekend.
|
Different types of sentences
When you use reported
speech, you either report:
- statements
- questions
- requests / commands
- other types
A. Reporting Statements
When transforming
statements, check whether you have to change:
- pronouns
- tense
- place and time expression
1- Pronouns
In reported speech, you
often have to change the pronoun depending on who says what.
Example:
She says, “My dad
likes roast chicken.” – She says that her dad likes roast chicken.
2- Tenses
- If the sentence starts in the
present, there is no backshift of tenses in reported
speech.
- If the sentence starts in the past,
there is often backshift of tenses in reported
speech.
|
Direct speech
|
Reported speech
|
|
|
(no backshift)
|
“I write poems.”
|
He says that
he writes poems.
|
|
(backshift)
|
“I write poems.”
|
He said that
he wrote poems.
|
No backshift
Do not change the tense
if the introductory clause is in a present tense (e. g. He says).
Note, however, that you might have to change the form of the present tense verb
(3rd person singular).
Example:
He says, “I write poems.” – He says that he writes English.
He says, “I write poems.” – He says that he writes English.
Backshift
You must change the tense
if the introductory clause is in a past tense (e. g. He said).
Example:
He said, “I am happy.” – He said that he was happy.
He said, “I am happy.” – He said that he was happy.
Examples of the main
changes in tense:
|
Direct Speech
|
Reported Speech
|
|
Simple Present
He said: "I am happy" |
Simple Past
He said that he was happy |
|
Present Progressive
He said: "I'm looking for my keys" |
Past Progressive
He said that he was looking for his keys |
|
Simple Past
He said: "I visited New York last year" |
Past Perfect Simple
He said that he had visited New York the previous year. |
|
Present Perfect
He said: " I've lived here for a long time " |
Past Perfect
He said that he had lived there for a long time |
|
Past Perfect
He said: "They had finished the work when Iarrived" |
Past Perfect
He said that they had finished the work when he had arrived" |
|
Past Progressive
He said: "I was playing football when the accident occurred" |
Past Perfect
Progressive
He said that he had been playing football when the accident had occurred |
|
Present Perfect
Progressive
He said:"I have been playing football for two hours." |
Past Perfect
Progressive
He said that he had been playing football for two hours |
|
Past Perfect
Progressive
He said: "I had been reading a newspaper when the light went off" |
Past Perfect
Progressive
He said that he had been reading a newspaper when the light had gone off |
|
Future Simple
(will+verb)
He said: "I will open the door." |
Conditional
(would+verb)
He said that he would open the door. |
|
Conditional
(would+verb)
He said: "I would buy Mercedes if I were rich" |
Conditional
(would+verb)
He said that he would buy Mercedes if he had beenrich" |
The modal verbs could,
should, would, might, needn't, ought to, used to do not normally
change.
Example:
He said, "She might be right." – He said that she might be right.
Example:
He said, "She might be right." – He said that she might be right.
Other modal verbs may
change:
|
Modal
|
Direct speec
|
Repored speech
|
|
can
|
"I can do
it."
|
He said he could do
it.
|
|
may
|
"May I
go out?"
|
He wanted to know if
he might go out.
|
|
must
|
"She must apply
for the job."
|
He said that she must/had
to apply for the job.
|
|
will
|
"They will call
you."
|
He tod her that
they would call her.
|
3- Place, demonstratives
and time expressions
Place, demonstratives and
time expressions change if the context of the reported statement (i.e. the
location and/or the period of time) is different from that of the direct
speech.
In the following table,
you will find the different changes of place; demonstratives and time
expressions.
|
Direct Speech
|
Reported Speech
|
|
Time Expressions
|
|
|
today
|
that day
|
|
now
|
then
|
|
yesterday
|
the day before
|
|
… days ago
|
… days before
|
|
last week
|
the week before
|
|
next year
|
the following year
|
|
tomorrow
|
the next day / the
following day
|
|
Place
|
|
|
here
|
there
|
|
Demonstratives
|
|
|
this
|
that
|
|
these
|
those
|
B. Reporting Questions
When transforming
questions, check whether you have to change:
- pronouns
- place and time expressions
- tenses (backshift)
Also note that you have
to:
- transform the question into an
indirect question
- use the question word (where,
when, what, how) or if / whether
|
Types of questions
|
Direct speech
|
Reported speech
|
|
With question word
(what, why, where, how...)
|
"Why" don’t
you speak English?”
|
He asked me why I
didn’t speak English.
|
|
Without question word
(yes or no questions)
|
“Do you speak English?”
|
He asked me whether /
if I spoke English.
|
C. Reporting requests /
commands
When transforming
requests and commands, check whether you have to change:
- pronouns
- place and time expressions
|
Direct speech
|
Reported speech
|
|
“Nancy,do the
exercise.“
|
He told Nancy to do the
exercise.
|
|
"Nancy, give me
your pen, please."
|
He asked Nancy to give
him her pen.
|
|
Tenses are not relevant
for requests – simply use to / not to +
verb (infinitive without "to")
|
Example:
She said, “Sit
down." - She asked me to sit down.
She said, "don't be
lazy" - She asked me not to be lazy
|
For affirmative
use to + infinitive (without to)
For negative requests,
use not to + infinitive (without to).
|
D. Other transformations
- Expressions of advice with must, should and ought are
usually reported using advise / urge.
Example:
“You must read this book.“
He advised / urged me to read that book. - The expression let’s is
usually reported using suggest. In this case, there are two
possibilities for reported speech: gerund or statement with should.
Example:
“Let’s go to the cinema.“=
1. He suggested going to the cinema.
2. He suggested that we should go to the cinema.
Main clauses connected
with and/but
If two complete main
clauses are connected with ‚and or ‚but, put ‚that after
the conjunction.
Example:
He said,“I saw her but she didn't see me.“ – He said that he had seen her but that she hadn't seen him.“
He said,“I saw her but she didn't see me.“ – He said that he had seen her but that she hadn't seen him.“
If the subject is dropped
in the second main clause (the conjunction is followed by a verb), do not
use ‚that‘.
Example:
She said,“I am a nurse and work in a hospital.“ – He said that she was a nurse and worked in a hospital.“
She said,“I am a nurse and work in a hospital.“ – He said that she was a nurse and worked in a hospital.“
Sumber :
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar